Sugar is a common ingredient that is added to almost all processed foods, including baked goods, sauces, and in the drinks we love. However, as per the research consuming too much sugar can have negative effects on your health, such as weight gain, diabetes, and heart disease. In fact, the World Health Organization recommends that adults should consume no more than 10% of their daily calories from added sugars, but ideally less than 5%. This article will explore why sugar is not healthy for you and some supplements you can use as alternatives.
- Too much sugar can lead to weight gain
Consuming too much sugar can lead to weight gain, which can increase the risk of developing chronic diseases such as heart disease and diabetes. Sugar is high in calories, but it has no essential nutrients, so it does not provide any health benefits. When you consume more calories than your body needs, your body stores the excess as fat. Additionally, sugar can also lead to insulin resistance, which can cause your body to store more fat, especially in your abdominal area. Therefore, reducing your sugar intake can help you maintain a healthy weight and lower the risk of developing chronic diseases.
- Negative effects on your heart health
Consuming too much sugar can also have negative effects on your heart health. A diet high in sugar has been linked to an increased risk of heart disease, including high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and inflammation. Additionally, sugar can also increase triglyceride levels, which is a type of fat found in your blood that can increase the risk of heart disease. Therefore, reducing your sugar intake can improve your heart health and lower the risk of developing heart disease.
- Risk of developing diabetes
Consuming too much sugar can also increase the risk of developing diabetes. When you consume sugar, your body breaks it down into glucose, which is then absorbed into your bloodstream. In response, your pancreas produces insulin, a hormone that helps regulate blood sugar levels. However, if you consume too much sugar over a long period of time, your body can become resistant to insulin, which can lead to high blood sugar levels and ultimately, diabetes. Therefore, reducing your sugar intake can help prevent or manage diabetes.
So, what can you use as an alternative to sugar?
- There are several supplements you can use as alternatives that are healthier for you. Firstly, stevia is a natural sweetener that is derived from the leaves of the Stevia plant. Stevia is much sweeter than sugar, so you only need to use a very small amount. The best thing about stevia is it has no calories and does not raise blood sugar levels in the body. Which Makes it a good alternative for people with diabetes or those trying to lose body weight.
- There is a fruit called monk, one can use monk fruit extract which is another natural sweetener that is derived from the monk fruit. Like stevia, monk fruit extract is much sweeter than sugar, so you only need to use a small amount. It has no calories and does not raise blood sugar levels, making it a good alternative for people with diabetes or those trying to lose weight.
- Erythritol is a sugar alcohol that is naturally found in fruits and vegetables. It has a sweet taste, but it has only 6% of the calories of sugar. Additionally, it does not raise blood sugar levels, making it a good alternative for people with diabetes or those trying to lose weight. However, some people may experience digestive side effects such as bloating or diarrhea when consuming erythritol.